Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hats off to Ancestry.com–Free Access to 1940 Census Release.

Shirt Elizabeth 1881 CensusJust read a news release by ancestry.com that the 1940 Census, when released, will be available free on their site until at least the end of 2013. The scheduled release is about mid-April 2012. Here is the whole news release.
I know that Ancestry.com is a company and their goal is to make money but my hats off to them for releasing this census for free for the first year and a half it will be available. I’m sure the bottom line here and the underlying reason that ancestry.com is offering this for free is to get more traffic to their site which equals more paid subscribers and more money for them. However, the do not have to offer the census for free, they could very well make everyone pay for the access and they would make a lot of money with it because people will pay. I know I would if that was the best way to gain access; I wouldn’t like it but I would pay. But, they are offering it for free and that is why my hat goes off to them for this. Good move on their part as far as marketing and strategy but it is also a great move for the further of family history research. This will attract more and more to this great (most of the time) past time.
Let all of us know what your thoughts are on the news release by ancestry.com by leaving a comment.
Thanks for reading and keep diggin’ for that family.
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment